03 / 29 / 2019
  - 09:48:23 AM
Improper Disposal Of Smoking Materiels
  

By MyFM's Rick Michaels - The State Fire Marshall’s Office says the cause of the apartment fire on Depot Street in Douglas, was the improper disposal of smoking materials. About 20 residents were displaced by the fire. Douglas Fire Chief Kent F. Vinson and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey say, “This fire started at 2:45 in the morning, a time when most people are asleep with the Chiefs crediting the working smoke alarms with alerting residents to danger.” There were no injuries as a result of this early morning fire that started at ground level on the exterior of the 3-story, 7-unit building. There were numerous cigarette butts found in the mulch as well as a melted plastic fire pot used frequently by residents to extinguish cigarettes. Chief Vinson said, “Smoking materials can smolder undetected for a long time before starting a fire and fires that start on the exterior of a building can get a huge head start before anyone notices or any alarms alert occupants inside the building. State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said, “Be a responsible smoker and safely dispose of smoking materials in a metal can with wet sand. Don’t toss them into mulch, leaves, trash or plastic flower pots that can easily catch fire.”  Damage to the Douglas historical home is estimated at between $300,000-$400,000.

 

Tags

Douglas

fire

Contact Us

Phone: (508) 473-1490

Address: 258 Main Street
PO Box 421 Milford, MA 01757
Email: raywmrc@gmail.com

Public File

Advertise With Us

We offer an integrated, multi-platform program that combines the power and effectiveness of radio with the innovation and influence of the web.  Click HERE to learn more.