03 / 22 / 2019
  - 08:38:14 AM
The State Fire Marshall’s Office And The Milford Fire Chief Make Determain Cause Of February Fire
  

By MyFM's Rick Michaels - The State Fire Marshall’s Office and the Milford Fire Chief say the cause of an early morning fire at 16 North Bow Street in February, was the improper disposal of smoking materials. One woman was seriously injured in the fire and treated at a Boston hospital, after others were evacuated safely from the structure with the help of an off-duty police dispatcher and several police officers. State Fire Marshall Peter Ostroskey and Milford Fire Chief William Touhey say the fire originated on a sofa in the second floor living room where the woman had fallen asleep smoking. Multiple packs of Seneca Red filtered cigars were in the area where the fire started. They are not required to be fire standard compliant as cigarettes are. The Milford Fire Department, the Milford Police Department and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal jointly investigated the fire. State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said, “About one-third of fire deaths in Massachusetts are the result of fires started by smoking materials. Chief Touhey says, “We want smokers to live long enough to quit. One way is to stay awake while smoking and only smoke outdoors.”
 

Contact Us

Phone: (508) 473-1490

Address: 258 Main Street
PO Box 421 Milford, MA 01757
Email: raywmrc@gmail.com

Public File

Advertise With Us

We offer an integrated, multi-platform program that combines the power and effectiveness of radio with the innovation and influence of the web.  Click HERE to learn more.